[mythtv-users] Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun May 13 09:33:53 UTC 2018

On 13/05/2018, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2018 16:40:02 +0800, you wrote:
>
>>On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
>>> An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
>>> mysql or mariadb.
>>>

>>But not mythtv.
>
> Yes, MythTV can use MySQL.  But somehow not your install of MySQL - I
> do not know why.  But it is better to be using MariaDB anyway.
>
> If you attempt to install MariaDB, anything that relies on it may also
> need to be uninstalled.  But uninstalling is not purging - all the
> setup for the software, including any databases, is still there.  So
> all you do after MariaDB has installed is to re-install any packages
> that got uninstalled.  But, apart from MythTV, there is unlikely to be
> anything else using MySQL unless your PC has a long history.

This and my other main use PC, have had UbuntuMate installed since
12.04, as Ubuntu was then (and possibly still is) the only non-MS OS
that has drivers for the hardware on my other PC, and, Ubuntu was (and
possibly still is) the only non-MS OS that would allow me to run an
external monitor from my other PC; a "super-duper" (well, it was, when
I bought it, and had it upgraded) "laptop" computer with nVidia
Optimus, which requires nouveau.

So, both installations, while now running UbuntuMATE 16.04, have been
running UbuntuMATE since 12.04, and, are probably regarded as "old",
and, probably have software on them (apart from mysql), that predates
mariadb.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale