[mythtv-users] Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Sun May 13 09:14:35 UTC 2018

On 13 May 2018 at 09:40, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
> > An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
> > mysql or mariadb.
> >

> But not mythtv.

​I'm sorry but you are wrong.

MythTV can use any database engine that exposes a 'standard' sql interface,
be it MySQL, MariaDB or whatever.

The *buntu distribution that you have chosen is packaged such that it has
(possibly unnecessarily) installed MySQL in its base distribution​.

The MythTV packages that you are considering installing specify MariaDB for
the database, and so the package manager is asking to remove MySQL and
replace it with MariaDB. There will likely be no visible effect or impact
to doing this. MythTV can happily use either of these 2 databases.

As I have suggested before, just follow the package manager suggestions to
uninstall MySQL and install MythTV with its associated MariaDB database.