[mythtv-users] Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun May 13 08:11:29 UTC 2018

On Sun, 13 May 2018 14:58:43 +0800, you wrote:

>One extra thing that gets me, about this, is that, apparently, mariadb
>will not install and run on a system, that has mysql installed.
>
>If I can have postgresql and mysql concurrently installed, why can
>mariadb not also be concurrently installed with mysql?
>
>It sounds like a proprietary software restriction imposed by mariadb.

MySQL and MariaDB are mutually exclusive.  They perform the same job -
MariaDB installs itself as though it was MySQL, including using the
same names for the mysql command line programs.  MythTV will install
if the right version of either MySQL or MariaDB is installed.  I
recommend that you install MariaDB, which will uninstall MySQL, then
install MythTV from the PPA.