[mythtv-users] HDMI

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Fri May 11 21:51:00 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 1:18 PM stinga <stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com> wrote:

> On 11/05/18 17:04, Ashu Desai wrote:
>

> On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 3:45 AM stinga <stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com>
> wrote:
>
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I have just been forced to upgrade due to a crashed disk and decided to
>> make a few changes.
>>
>> I have managed to get everything working except audio.
>>
>> Previously I had audio over spdif and video over hdmi, this restricted
>> the quality and channels I could have (I believe)
>>
>> I now have audio and video over hdmi via an amp
>>
>> mythtv ---> amp ---> sony tv
>>
>> But I only get 2 channels.
>>

> Are you using alsamixer? Did you go into it and make sure you changed the
> 2 channel to 6 channel?
>

>> When I select the audio in frontend setup it can see the Sony TV and
>> says it has two channels, which correct, but I thought it should see the
>> amp which has more.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> [root at mythtv ~]# aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>    Subdevices: 1/1
>>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>

>> [root at mythtv ~]# aplay -L
>> null
>>      Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>> default:CARD=Intel
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      Default Audio Device
>> sysdefault:CARD=Intel
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      Default Audio Device
>> front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      Front speakers
>> surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
>> surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
>> surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
>> surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>>      HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>>      7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> [...]
If you open alsamixer, and then press F6 to make sure you have the correct
card, then as you to to the "right" you will see Channel after the S/PDIF
(s). Trying to attach a pic - see if you have this. You basically have to
go "up" to increase the # of channels.

https://ibb.co/efHLdy

Hope this helps.