[mythtv-users] Can't find recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 11 16:43:22 UTC 2018

On 05/11/2018 12:05 PM, Mike Carron wrote:

> I have a system with a MBE (AMD 8350 with plenty of RAM) and 4 Zotac
> AD03s as frontends. All are running Mythbuntu 14.04 with 0.27.
> Everything works fine except that one of the FEs will show some
> recordings in blue (can't find) while the other 3 have no problem
> finding those same recordings. If I swap that FE with one of the
> others the problem follows that one unit. Since I can find no
> difference among the 4 FEs, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

IIRC, usually this is due to bad mount points on your frontend.  The
frontend will always use local storage to play the recording if its
storage location exists locally on the frontend.  So, you probably have
a directory on the frontend with the same exact path as the recording is
stored in on the backend that recorded it.  So, the frontend says, "Give
me a list of recordings." The backend says, "These recordings at these
locations." The frontend notices that some of the recordings use a
location that exists on the frontend, so it looks for the recording
there and it doesn't exist.

So, for example, if your backend is recording the files to:

/srv/mythtv/recordings/a/<recording_file_name>

and you happen to have that same directory

/srv/mythtv/recordings/a/

on the frontend, the frontend will try to play the recording from the
"local" file system.  It does this to prevent "double-streaming" the
recording if the backend recorded it to a network file system (in which
case the backend would pull it from the network file system using NFS or
whatever, then stream it to the frontend using Myth protocol--where it
make more sense for the frontend to just read it from NFS or whatever so
it only crosses the network once).

So check the directories in which the allegedly-missing recordings are
stored on the backend and see if those directories exist (but are
actually different directories--in spite of the identical names) on the
frontend.  you'll probably see they exist only on the frontend that's
having problems.

Mike