[mythtv-users] Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 7 13:47:16 UTC 2018

On Mon, 7 May 2018 09:17:24 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 May 2018 14:55:05 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>>4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
>>>deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
>>>a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
>>>I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
>>>possible.
>>
>> The only good option for an Nvidia card that does 4K is the 1030
>> models.  The others draw far too much power - they are set up for
>> gaming.  A fanless 1030 would likely be the best idea.  Fans are a
>> component that die earlier than anything else, unless you do annual
>> maintenance on them, which is a pain.  I think all of them on sale
>> should be PCI 3.0 models.  You want a motherboard that is PCI 3.0 if
>> you buy now, as that will last longer into the future.
>
>Interesting. Thanks for the info. The 4K support was sort of a
>like-to-have...sounds like it's asking more than I realized. I'll
>definitely keep the 1030s in mind.
>
>Yea, I've actually changed fans on that PNY GT 430 several times. I
>actually have a GPU temporature monitor script I wrote in perl (that
>uses nvidia-smi) running all the time in the background to alert me
>with mythtv notifications if the temp gets unexpectedly high. I tend
>to trust the ones with fans more, but do the fanless models really
>cool sufficiently? It would be nice to not have to screw with those
>anymore.

I have used only two fanless Nvidia cards, but that is because they
have lasted so long and are still going.  I think they last much
longer than the fan variety, as the fan stopping, even for a moment,
usually kills the chip.  The Asus Bravo 220 in my main MythTV box was
bought on 20-Sep-2010 and has been in 24/7 use since then.  The Asus
EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M in my Windows 7 box was bought on 22-May-2009
and is still going just fine, running 24/7 since then.

There is no need for a card with a fan for MythTV - you only need a
higher power card for gaming or 3D graphics.  The fanless ones are a
much better idea if you do not need the extra GPU power.