[mythtv-users] Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun May 6 18:55:05 UTC 2018

Astonishingly I've been using an x86 Dell 4700C small form factor
(running Gentoo) as a frontend for over 11 years, and it's worked
amazingly well. I even managed to find perhaps the only nVidia GT 430
card ever made that actually works in it's older PCI-E 1.0 slot. That
gets me reliable advanced 2x deinterlacing on 1080i OTA content and
HDMI audio etc. I was even able to get myself a replacement 4700C
cheap at one point. Today the motherboard on the one I was using died.
Lucky I had that spare and switched it out so we're back in business.

I'm thinking it's finally time to bite the bullet and think about
building a new frontend, so I can take my time as apposed to getting
stuck having to build one in a hurry. I'm still using mostly old
hardware around here and frankly it's been forever since I've bought
any computer at all. In every way imaginable I don't know where to
start. I'm hoping for some recommendations. Here's essentially what
I'm looking for:

1. I'm looking for a really good frontend and not necessarily
something cheap. Something with a smaller form factor might be nice
but I don't want to limit myself because of that.

2. While I've done things like replacing PC motherboards etc I've
never built my own system from parts. I'm not completely adverse to
the possibility of building something but also not crazy about it.

3. I'm definitely not hung up on the idea of a fanless system or the
like...in fact I'm not sure I even trust them. I've had no problem
with my existing system with fan on both the CPU and the nVidia card.

4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
possible.

5. I only need a wired NIC...no need nor desire for wireless.

6. Built in audio shouldn't make any difference as I'd be using HDMI
only, and I'd assume that would just be done via the nVidia card.

7. Ideally I'd like to have maybe a TB of disk just to have room for
extra videos.

8. I'm also obviously concerned about the possibility of non-Linux
compatible hardware of course. I'll be building whatever I get with
Gentoo so I should have a very modern kernel etc.

I think that about covers it. Another thing is that I have no clue
*where* to buy anything anymore. At one point I used newegg a lot, but
they seem to have turned into ebay/amazon. Do they even actually sell
anything themselves anymore? At one point I recall they had an option
to shop "only newegg" as apposed to buying from who-known-who and I
don't even see that anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Tom