[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Quatro: any bandwidth issues?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu May 3 10:26:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2 May 2018 23:56:42 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:32 PM, Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> The HDHomeRun Quatro has 4 ATSC tuners, but only a 100Mbit network port.
>> In theory that should be enough, but is it, in practice? Anyone ever run
>> into any network bandwidth issues with the Quatro? Would I be better off
>> getting two dual-tuner models, to spread the load? (the tuner(s) would be
>> connected to a gigabit switch, and the rest of my network is all gigabit)
>>

>> ?Don't see why it would be an issue..  21Mb/s is max on ATSC 1080i..
>That's 84 total.
>
>-Greg?

If multrec is supported with HDHRs, then 100 Mbit/s will not be
adequate.  Worst case with multirec you can be downloading all the
channels from each multiplex, all at the same time.  I am not sure
what the full bandwidth of an ATSC multiplex is, but more than two of
them at once will certainly be more than 100 Mbit/s.  I can see why
the original HDHRs were 100 Mbit/s, but I find it incredibly stupid
for them to still be making new ones that are only 100 Mbit/s.  And
quite insane when they have four tuners.