[mythtv-users] Lirc doesn't work with Artful

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Mar 21 01:32:56 UTC 2018

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 18:23:56 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello,
>I upgraded a frontend to Ubuntu 17.10 Artful. Everything just works except
>lirc and my remote control.
>
>When I "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source" I get the error message
>"dpkg-query: package 'lirc-modules-source' is not installed and no
>information is available".
>
>Any help? Is there another script I should be using, or is Myth just
>partially broken WRT lirc for Artful?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Steve

What did you upgrade from?  If it was old enough, there will have been
lots of changes in the infrared drivers, as they were moved into the
kernel somewhere around Ubuntu 14.04.  That broke lots of lirc setups.

And lirc itself has finally been updated to a much newer version
between 16.04 and 17.10.  I am not sure whether it happened in 17.04
or 17.10.  In 16.04 lirc is 0.9.0, which is well out of date.  In
17.10 it is 0.10.0 which is after major changes to lirc - it how uses
a python frontend to do its config, and I believe the config files
have changed considerably.  But 0.10.0 is also much more powerful and
some of the new config options are very useful.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=lirc
http://www.lirc.org