[mythtv-users] Complication(s) with display upgrade - need help

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Mar 19 23:22:02 UTC 2018

On 19/03/18 21:23, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018, 11:47 AM Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
> <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/19/2018 09:16 AM, Mike Holden wrote:
>      > On 20 March 2018 at 00:02, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com
>     <mailto:huffcslists at gmail.com>
>      > <mailto:huffcslists at gmail.com <mailto:huffcslists at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     So, here's where things stand after this morning's
>     exercises:  The
>      >     built-in Nvidia graphics supports smooth video delivery via the
>      >     DVI to HDMI adapter cable while the newer and more capable add-in
>      >     Nvidia adapter outputs jumpy, slow video.  There could be many
>      >     reasons for the "better" video adapter performing poorly, but
>     I've
>      >     spent enough time debugging things already, so I choose not to
>      >     investigate it further.
>      >
>      >
>      > Jumpy, laggy video is often the result of the audio output device
>      > being set incorrectly in mythfrontend. This can often occur if you
>      > change the video/audio hardware without going back into the audio
>      > settings. Try changing the audio out device.
>
>     Good advice.  And, as I was trying to say in my post, at least try
>     setting the audio output device to the HDMI on your nvidia card.  It may
>     well work, even with the adapter you have.  (I definitely wasn't saying
>     to get the one I got--only that it works for me even though many of the
>     reviewers say it doesn't.)  A lot of manufacturers just flat out say
>     audio won't work through their adapter so they don't have to explain the
>     requirements for the circumstances where it will--that it will only work
>     with certain DVI outputs, generally on certain video cards with certain
>     video drivers, and a properly-configured system, and ...
>
>     Oh, and FWIW, the +5 vs +1 isn't important for the audio.  Those 4 pins
>     you're "missing" are used for the analog side of the DVI-I (which you
>     don't want to use)--they're Analog Red/Green/Blue/Horiz Sync.  Your 24
>     +1 is a DVI-D dual link connection, which is fine (you want the digital
>     connection).  You just need to see if HDMI audio works through it, too.
>
>     Mike
>

> Assuming the OP has a PCIx16 slot wouldn't a nvidia card with HDMI out
> be a simpler solution?

Yes, and I get pretty good results on 1920x1080 playback with a GT710
that cost me around 30 GBP - but the OP said he had a PCI slot, not
PCIe...  Image solidity isn't quite as good as with DLNA playback but
the frontend is nicer to use.

I don't know if the 4k display resolution is seen as a current target,
or one for the future, but I, as an amateur, would expect that to need a
significant frontend upgrade.