[mythtv-users] No live tv and not recording

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 03:36:59 UTC 2018

On 19/03/18 07:47, Klaus Becker wrote:

Hi Stephen and everybody,

There is indeed a problem with group mythtv.

Christian Marillat, the maintainer of the MythTV packages on deb-multimedia.org, told me that his scripts don't create a group "mythtv".

But this group exists after installation on Debian, but I had to add manually user "klaus" to the group "mythtv".

If I recall correctly at one point you mentioned that you created a user mythtv but later removed it. I am going to guess that the command you used to create the user also created the group, but the command you used to remove the user did not remove the group.

As mythtv did not work, I did "apt purge mythtv*" to rebegin everything from the scratch. But I only could reinstall mythtv after deleting the group "mythtv", as Christian told me. Otherwise installation was impossible.

Copy for Christian, he will tell us if I am wrong.

There also is a problem with "mythtv-status". It was not easy to install it, finally I succeeded but I don't remember how.

Don't worry about mythtv-status or any other later steps until you get a working backend. I still haven't seen a log file from a properly working backend and one of the complaints from your mythtv-status --verbose output was that it couldn't find a backend.

Are there people here who use MythTV under Debian and who can tell us if it works?

Yes MythTV works under Debian. As an aside, which instructions are you using. These? https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian

It is hard to guess at the current state of your system. My advice would be to go back to Stephen's last message and work through it again. In particular how are you starting and stopping the backend? When you stop the backend, can you verify using ps / netstat that it is actually stopped? When you confirm no running instances of mythbackend and then start the backend can you find (and post) the log file for the backend instance that you just started?