[mythtv-users] dd hangs in HDPVR channel changer script

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 06:06:23 UTC 2018

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 9:52 PM, Scot Kreienkamp <skreien at wcnet.org> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>

>> Digging in a bit I can see that I've got a hung dd process coming from my
>> channel changing script as found here - https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/
>> Hauppauge_HD-PVR
>>

> This is the command from that script that I can see in my process list
>> (with variables expanded as expected):
>>
>> timeout 2 dd if=${VDEV} of=/dev/null bs=4k count=1 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
>>
>> I can't kill the dd process and it even seems to prevent a reboot cycle
>> from restarting. I have to power off the box before it will restart.
>>
>> To work around this I've removed the STB power on detection section from
>> the channel changing script. It's only been a day, but so far things are
>> working.
>>
>>  When that happened to me, I did the same, removed the dd command and it
> worked.... for a few weeks.  Then things started going downhill fast.
> Tried replacing the power cord, the USB cord, different ports, USB hubs,
> etc.  Tried everything I could think of.  I ended up having to replace it
> because nothing I did stabilized it.  I replaced it with another HDPVR I
> had in storage that I forgot about and it's been stable ever since.
>
> My point is, you may want to have a backup plan in your pocket in case
> things go the same way.

​Hmmmm..

I remember (back in the 2008 and 2009 era) where the 1212's firmware was
not reliable, so maybe that is why the dd command is in the changer script
just to make sure the device is responding..  I think this is absolutely
retarded (or ignorant depending on your politically correct stance) since
even if there is no response and dd fails, nothing in the script does
anything to fix it or notify you of the situation, hence why have it at
all...?​

​ Since 2012, I have never had a 1212 lock up on me at all and never
require a restart..  I understand back in the day, it was a serious
problem, so much so that someone (I believe Galvin Hurbert (sp?)) created a
circuit board to spank power on them..​

There is absolutely no reason to do anything but send the channel channel
command to your receiver - just leave all comms to the 1212 out of it..