[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Mar 4 11:39:19 UTC 2018

On 04/03/18 11:13, Klaus Becker wrote:
> Le samedi 3 mars 2018, 10:27:28 CET Barry Martin a écrit :
>> Re: [mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase
>> From:	Barry Martin <barry3martin at gmail.com>
>> To:	mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>> Date:	Hier 17:27
>> Hi Klaus!
>>
>> Your "the error seems to be 'No channels are configured to use grabber'"
>> is probably correct.  Of course the thing is figuring out where.  I
>> think your "the grabber" is going to be the German equivalent of here in
>> the U.S. SchedulesDirect. I'll admit to being a little more confused as
>> it appears your e-mail in French-based and the error messages are
>> partially in French.
>>
>>> I got a digital antenna and I want to watch german televison. I have a
>>> dreambox that works, but it does not work with MythTV.
>>>
>>> Channel scan works, but I cannot regard televison. There is a problem with
>>
>>> mythfilldatabase. I telles me:
>> I think you're confusing two different things,   and don't get worried:
>> we all were newbies and had to learn.  I'm an amateur and answering to
>> try to be able to bridge some of the more complex and detailed answers
>> the others will respond with.   "Channel scan" is for watching Live TV
>> and I don't think has anything to do your mythfilldatabase problem.
>> ...Well, maybe.
>>
>> Mythfilldatabase can obtain its information two ways.  One is from
>> "EIT", which is the programming information provided by the TV stations
>> in their live over-the-air signal.  Here in the U.S. sometimes data for
>> only the next three or four hours, sometimes for a period of time up to
>> the next day or two (24 to 48 hours).  The other way to obtain
>> programming data is via SchedulesDirect, though that's U.S.-only, no
>> idea what the European version is.
>>
>> One quirk (oddity) I noticed when I was playing here with EIT is there
>> is a setting (configuration) which will have the tuner do nothing but
>> detect the EIT data; it won't be able to be used as a tuner.  Elsewhere
>> in MythTV that tuner will always appear as 'busy'.  (This paragraph does
>> and does not have anything to do with your current problem; I'm just
>> trying to point out a potential problem.)
>>
>>> $ mythfilldatabase
>>> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.466101 C  mythfilldatabase version: fixes/0.28
>>> [8238e839c9]www.mythtv.org
>>> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.466118 C  Qt version: compile: 5.7.1, runtime: 5.7.1
> [...]
>>> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.478751 W  This application expects to be running a
>>> locale that specifies a UTF-8 codeset, and many features may behave
>>> improperly with your current language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or
>>> LC_CTYPE, and LANG variable(s) in the environment in which this program
>>> is executed to include a UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8').
>>
>> Umm, the 'warning' line doesn't like something - I have no idea what.
>>
>>> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.479415 N  Empty LocalHostName.
>>> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.479434 I  Using localhost value of 2stein
>>
>> Again a mistake someplace but the system is correcting itself.
>>
>>> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.505768 I  Updating source #1 (Astra) with grabber
>>> tv_grab_eu_egon
>>> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.505918 I  No channels are configured to use grabber.
>>
>> I think  this is the start of the mythfilldatabase error you are
>> having.  My guess is "tv_grab_eu_egon" is the equivalent of my
>> "SchedulesDirect" and it (*egon) has to be configured to which TV
>> stations you want.  You will need to go to the *egon website, login,
>> select where you are, and then select/deselect the available TV channels.
>>
>>> The error seems to be "No channels are configured to use grabber."
>>> So what can I do ? I searched a lot on the web without finding a solution.
>>
>> That is my guess also.
>

> Hi Barry,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> My native language is german, but I live in France since a long time.
>
> So if I understand you well, regarding live tv should be possible even if
> there is a problem with mythfilldatabase ?
>
> In this case I will first try to get live tv working, and than recording.
>
> http://www.epgdata.com/ is commercial and this should not be necessary. I also
> have a dreambox and it works without any commercial service. (I want to
> replace the dreambox by mythtv because the box is buggy).
>
> I tried a channel scan with a free grabber for Europe, but the result is the
> same: the scan works, I get a liste of hundreds of channels, but I cannot
> regard any.
>
> I do not really understand if a grabber is necessary to watch tv. The french
> mythtv site recommands to choose no grabber in setup.
>
> My channel list is at
> http://supplement.xmltv.org/tv_grab_eu_epgdata/channel_ids
>
> When I choose "watch tv", nothing happens. When I try to record tv, I see the
> channel list, but impossible to watch or record any.
>
> I started mythfrontend in a shell and I have the error message
>
> "It appears that your backend may be misconfigured.  Check your backend logs
> to determine whether your inputs, lineups, channels, or storage configuration
> are reporting errors.  This issue is commonly caused by failing to complete
> all setup steps properly.  You may wish to review the documentation for
> mythtv-setup."
>
> I rebegan mythtv-setup step for step, I cannot see what is wrong.
>
> I shall review the documentation, but perhaps you have an idea about the

I have no experience of German tv but I would expect you to be able to
get schedule information by EIT - which might be what the French Mythtv
site is calling 'no grabber'    EIT works well for me in the UK; it just
doesn't give as much detail as the commercial services.

There's a comment above about an EIT setting that doesn't allow
recording.  I don't think that's true.  Perhaps it doesn't allow *other*
software to use that tuner.

John P