[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 16:27:28 UTC 2018

Hi Klaus!

Your "the error seems to be 'No channels are configured to use grabber'"
is probably correct.  Of course the thing is figuring out where.  I
think your "the grabber" is going to be the German equivalent of here in
the U.S. SchedulesDirect. I'll admit to being a little more confused as
it appears your e-mail in French-based and the error messages are
partially in French.

> I got a digital antenna and I want to watch german televison. I have a
> dreambox that works, but it does not work with MythTV.
>
> Channel scan works, but I cannot regard televison. There is a problem with
> mythfilldatabase. I telles me:

I think you're confusing two different things,   and don't get worried:
we all were newbies and had to learn.  I'm an amateur and answering to
try to be able to bridge some of the more complex and detailed answers
the others will respond with.   "Channel scan" is for watching Live TV
and I don't think has anything to do your mythfilldatabase problem.
...Well, maybe.

Mythfilldatabase can obtain its information two ways.  One is from
"EIT", which is the programming information provided by the TV stations
in their live over-the-air signal.  Here in the U.S. sometimes data for
only the next three or four hours, sometimes for a period of time up to
the next day or two (24 to 48 hours).  The other way to obtain
programming data is via SchedulesDirect, though that's U.S.-only, no
idea what the European version is.

One quirk (oddity) I noticed when I was playing here with EIT is there
is a setting (configuration) which will have the tuner do nothing but
detect the EIT data; it won't be able to be used as a tuner.  Elsewhere
in MythTV that tuner will always appear as 'busy'.  (This paragraph does
and does not have anything to do with your current problem; I'm just
trying to point out a potential problem.)

> $ mythfilldatabase
> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.466101 C  mythfilldatabase version: fixes/0.28
> [8238e839c9]www.mythtv.org
> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.466118 C  Qt version: compile: 5.7.1, runtime: 5.7.1
> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.466123 N  Enabled verbose msgs:  general

Somewhat how to read these things:  year - month - date
time_to_ididy-bitty_seconds.  Next column is more helpful when looking
for errors:  "C" I think is 'comment', 'N' for 'notification', "I" for
"information'.  'W; for 'warning', "E" for 'error'.

> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.478733 I  Assumed character encoding: fr_FR.utf8
> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.478751 W  This application expects to be running a locale
> that specifies a UTF-8 codeset, and many features may behave improperly with
> your current language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and LANG
> variable(s) in the environment in which this program is executed to include a
> UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8').

Umm, the 'warning' line doesn't like something - I have no idea what.

> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.479415 N  Empty LocalHostName.
> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.479434 I  Using localhost value of 2stein
Again a mistake someplace but the system is correcting itself.

> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.505768 I  Updating source #1 (Astra) with grabber
> tv_grab_eu_egon
> 2018-03-03 12:40:42.505918 I  No channels are configured to use grabber.

I think  this is the start of the mythfilldatabase error you are
having.  My guess is "tv_grab_eu_egon" is the equivalent of my
"SchedulesDirect" and it (*egon) has to be configured to which TV
stations you want.  You will need to go to the *egon website, login,
select where you are, and then select/deselect the available TV channels.

> The error seems to be "No channels are configured to use grabber."
> So what can I do ? I searched a lot on the web without finding a solution.

That is my guess also.  Hopefully between my basic answers and the more
detailed answers of the others who know their stuff you can start
recording your German TV soon!

Barry