[mythtv-users] Open Failed: No suitable proxy found

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Mar 2 14:53:08 UTC 2018

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 06:03:01 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, 2018-03-02 at 13:40 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:.
>>
>> How good is your router?  Is it able to do the proxy redirection
>> invisibly for you?
>
>Transparent proxying is a non-starter any more.  Too much traffic is
>HTTPS these days.  And is a work-around for buggy proxy implementations
>at best anyway.
>

>b.

But you were talking about proxying an HTTPS URL.  And it is possible
to proxy HTTPS properly - you have use a proxy that has a proper
certificate and load that certificate into your certificate store.
That allows you to do a man-in-the-middle proxy that decrypts the
HTTPS and can then edit the pages to delete ads.  The altered data
then gets re-encrypted.  Since you are doing the man-in-the-middle
yourself, with proper certificates, the other end does not have any
problems with the connection and you are not creating a security risk.
Or so I have seen in the explanations of how it is done - I have never
actually done it myself.