[mythtv-users] Mythical Poltergeists

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jun 28 09:12:16 UTC 2018

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 00:29:21 -0400, you wrote:

>I've been running mythtv for about 15 years now and I am quite
>comfortable with the way it works. But something happened last night
>which is just unbelieveable and I cannot think of any way that it
>happened but it did.
>
>Like lots of us, I have the myth box connected to a couple of HDHR's for
>OTA, and a separate cable box, for cable tv. The myth box outputs audio
>to an amplifier and speakers. The cable input outputs to the tv speakers.
>
>Last night I watched a FIFA match on the cable. My wife fell asleep
>before the end. I switched off the tv and went to bed. Earlier we had
>watched a recording on myth, through another input to the tv. The last
>thing I did in myth, was navigate to the Status page and check on the
>EPF listing status: 20 days!
>
>About a half hour later, my wife wandered in. She had been awakened by
>music *from the mythtv speakers*. I investigated and found that the
>mythbox had decided to exit the status page, navigate up and over to
>'Music' and commence playing the last selected track ('Nimrod' by Elgar).
>
>How did this happen? How COULD this happen? Popltergeists are a myth,
>right?

We have this sort of thing happen in our living room where my mother
has her MythTV box.  There is also a heat pump in the same room,
controlled with another IR remote.  When she changes the heat pump
settings, if she points the heat pump remote in the wrong direction,
the MythTV remote picks up random (valid) inputs and does things.