[mythtv-users] Recommendations needed for new FE box

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 19:17:11 UTC 2018

> I thought VDPAU was the "better" one here, would VAAPI be as efficient at
> offloading as VDPAU has been? If so - Android may be something to consider
> here. If not, then Intel based nVIDIA graphics where we can utilize VDPAU
> is still something we need folks to give input on regarding a decent FE.
>
> I am still split between a NUC and RP3 B+ = seems NUC may be priced a bit
> more however has more oomph to drive the HD, 4K and/or H.265 movies (as
> they become more frequently available) ?

I have two Haswell-based NUCs which work really well, and one Kaby Lake NUC
which is a bit of a tire fire. They're rife with issues supporting HD audio
pass-through in general, have problems with HDMI/4k, and in order to do a
firmware upgrade you have to do a full install of Win10 (i.e., booting a
rescue image won't work) AND it has to be connected to an HDMI 2.0 device
at the time of the firmware upgrade.

https://nucblog.net/2017/03/intel-releases-the-final-hdmi-firmware-for-apollo-and-kaby-lake/
https://communities.intel.com/thread/122186

Some people have gotten some subset of features to work, but I gave up ~2-3
months ago. I have one of my old NUCs hooked up to my nice home theater
system, and the new one hooked up an older stand-alone TV. I was hoping to
future-proof an eventual 4k setup, but ... back to the drawing board.

-justin