[mythtv-users] Recommendations needed for new FE box

Richard Lane lists at timeforabrew.com
Thu Jul 26 23:56:50 UTC 2018

---- On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 21:40:04 +0100 Jeremy D Eiden <theonlyrealperson at gmail.com> wrote ---- I also agree on Flirc - I love that little device. I have all sorts of leftover remotes from who-knows-what that suddenly have new life. Not to mention my wife gets to keep using her TiVO remote - which was important in my selling MythTV to her in the first place. On 07/26/2018 03:17 PM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote: _______________________________________________ mythtv-users mailing list mythtv-users at mythtv.org http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org I third this... I use it with Kodi and Mythtv.  The one thing I learned the hard way, make sure to allocate enough memory to graphics.  It's adjustable on the Pi.  That was my biggest problem that took me quite a while to figure out.  Also I would suggest getting a Flirc or something for remote control... don't use CEC/Anynet/whatever-the-vendor-names-it control over HDMI.  I had nothing but problems with it.   On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Jeremy D Eiden <theonlyrealperson at gmail.com> wrote: On 07/26/2018 10:46 AM, George Poulson wrote: On 26 July 2018 at 16:07, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:   Is there something that folks here have - i am open to buying bare metal and building one up myself... If you're open to it as a solution the Raspberry Pi 3 makes a pretty darn good (and very cheap!) frontend. You'll find various articles both on the mythtv wiki and elsewhere. George I second this.  LibreElec on a RaspPi 3 B+ has nearly flawless playback.  Some menus are great, but others (like Recordings) I find a little clunky.  Not terrible, just clunky. And it just worked. Install, enable Myth's plugin and configure the plugin to point to the backend - and it was good to go. The playback looks nicer than my NUC's, I think. But really, it's hard to tell. Another thing that helped get smooth playback from the Pi was playing around with forcing the output resolution and frequency via config.txt. After giving the gpu enough memory, this made the biggest step towards smooth playback for me. If left to decide for itself, my TV would set itself to 60Hz, and i would have tearing/flickering. Not much, but enough to be noticed. using: hdmi_group=1 hdmi_mode=20 ...in config.txt sets the pi to output 50Hz, and i have perfect playback on my Pi2.