[mythtv-users] Playback issues on remote frontend - vdpau

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 18:43:36 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018, 12:02 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/21/2018 12:14 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 07/18/2018 10:55 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> To start with, I have found a work around to my issue, but I still don't
>>> understand what is going on. While typing this email and listing out what
>>> all I tried, I discovered that changing the playback profile from vdpau to
>>> opengl seems to correct the issue. CPU runs higher, and I am concerned that
>>> may cause problems with some recordings, but it is working for now.  I just
>>> don;t understand why vdpau isn't working like I think it should. The below
>>> is all with the vdpau playback profile (slim, normal, high all do the same)
>>>
>>> Graphics Card: GT1030 using HDMI out and audio over hdmi
>>>
>>> I am having issues with playback of 720p video. When watching it is most
>>> obvious with the sound. Using a video camera, I recorded the playback to
>>> share.  I also have the playback data displayed on the screen. It is a
>>> small file (22.2MB) that may be downloaded using the link below.
>>>
>>> File Download Link:
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/12cPmRGCudWROsLOt_TiCnbW2RKMpfpMC/view?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> I started mythfrontend from the terminal with --loglevel debug: No
>>> errors showing up.
>>>
>>> Both frontend and backend are connected to wired LAN at 1000Mbps
>>>
>>> It did not used to do this. I briefly thought it was my graphics adapter
>>> because my cooling fan was going out, so I went ahead and upgraded to an
>>> nvidia GT1030. No change.
>>> I've tried different versions of the nvidia driver. No change.
>>>
>>> I have audio upconversion turned off. Realtime priority threads is off.
>>>
>>> I also ran across an email in this forum where advice was given to do
>>> some check on vdpau setup. I ran several of those checks and saved the text
>>> to a file that can be downloaded from the following link:
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1McXR1_HrzANpDWdFRjS143bm9i-re1WZ/view?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> Sorry for such a long message. Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jeremy
>>>

>>> Please start the frontend with -v playback and view the recording under
>> vdpau. The log will show more information about what is happening here.
>> Please post the log somewhere (e.g. pastebin) and let me know where it is.
>>
>> Peter
>> _______________
>

> Thanks the extra info from -v playback looks helpful.
>
> Logfile link below:
> https://pastebin.com/N1U9Jxsf
>
> Based on that log file, it looks to me like the audio is actually the root
> of the problem, not vdpau, but I still don;t know what to do about it.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Jeremy
>

> If you are running master:
> On frontend navigate to Setup->Video->Playback->General Playback
> [...]

Thanks again don't know if you saw my other follow-up post. I got it
working. I am running .29 extra audio buffering was already checked. What
fixed it was changing my audio device from ALSA:default to the hw version.
I don't know what my distro is doing with the sound, but bypassing that
deems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks again.