[mythtv-users] mythtv-users Digest, Vol 184, Issue 8

Jamie Heath heathpenguin at comcast.net
Sun Jul 15 01:23:41 UTC 2018


> On July 10, 2018 at 8:00 AM mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> 
> 
> Send mythtv-users mailing list submissions to
> 	mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	mythtv-users-owner at mythtv.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of mythtv-users digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: Interesting update (Don Brett)
>    2. Re: Interesting update (Mike Bibbings)
>    3. Re: New MythTV System - everything cool, but what's up with
>       mythtv-status? (Jeff)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 08:13:07 -0400
> From: Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Interesting update
> Message-ID: <6cc08d71-f198-1dec-973e-4d6cec1ed49d at zoominternet.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
> 
> On 7/8/2018 11:58 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> > On 08/07/18 16:01, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> >> On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 08:46:52 -0400, you wrote:
> >>
> >>> On 7/7/2018 10:21 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> >>>> On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 21:57:05 -0400, you wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> Jul? 7 21:04:36 nick kernel: [?? 41.946059] lircd[835]: segfault at 8 ip
> >>>>> 0000000000427cd0 sp 00007ffc3475f148 error 4 in lircd[400000+35000]
> >>>> This looks like the problem.  Lircd crashed on a segfault.
> >>>>
> >>> Coincidentally, I had a short power fail this morning and had to start
> >>> my box from scratch; remotes stopped working again.
> >>>
> >>> I just found this, sounds like a good chance it's the culprit:
> >>>
> >>> 4.15.0 update breaks LIRC
> >>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/670733
> >>>
> >>> I rebooted and picked the earlier kernel (4.13.0-45), remotes work
> >>> fine.? How do we check to see if it's been reported as a bug?
> >>>
> >>> Don
> >> What operating system are you running?  Your version of LIRC is rather
> >> old (0.9.0), which is what Ubuntu 16.04 uses.  That suggests that you
> >> are using Ubuntu 16.04 in some form.  But to get a 4.15 kernel on
> >> Ubuntu 16.04, you must have upgraded it.  Somewhere between 16.04 and
> >> 18.04, a proper up-to-date version of LIRC was introduced, and I think
> >> it is likely to not have this problem.  It is likely only the
> >> combination of a fairly new kernel and the old 0.9.0 LIRC that is
> >> causing this.
> > Note that Ubuntu 16.04's original kernel was 4.4. But Ubuntu are now
> > tracking more recent kernel versions in subsequent point releases. The
> > 16.04.5 point release upgraded the kernel from 4.13 to 4.15.
> >
> > More here:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
> >
> > HTH, Jan
> > _______________________________________________
> > mythtv-users mailing list
> > mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> > http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> > http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> > MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
> Yes, I'm running 16.04....seems like I just build this box.? I'll keep 
> running the earlier kernel on this one and build a replacement with 
> 18.04 in parallel.? I see that the newest and recommended method is to 
> install a basic Ubuntu desktop, then install Mythtv via apt-get and do 
> updates with ppa; does that sound correct?
> 
> Don
> 
> 
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 14:25:28 +0100
> From: Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com>
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Interesting update
> Message-ID: <969716bb-ca20-8ecb-a973-ab14063b40fd at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
> 
> On 09/07/18 13:13, Don Brett wrote:
> > On 7/8/2018 11:58 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> >> On 08/07/18 16:01, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> >>> On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 08:46:52 -0400, you wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> On 7/7/2018 10:21 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> >>>>> On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 21:57:05 -0400, you wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>>> Jul? 7 21:04:36 nick kernel: [ 41.946059] lircd[835]: segfault at 
> >>>>>> 8 ip
> >>>>>> 0000000000427cd0 sp 00007ffc3475f148 error 4 in lircd[400000+35000]
> >>>>> This looks like the problem.? Lircd crashed on a segfault.
> >>>>>
> >>>> Coincidentally, I had a short power fail this morning and had to start
> >>>> my box from scratch; remotes stopped working again.
> >>>>
> >>>> I just found this, sounds like a good chance it's the culprit:
> >>>>
> >>>> 4.15.0 update breaks LIRC
> >>>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/670733
> >>>>
> >>>> I rebooted and picked the earlier kernel (4.13.0-45), remotes work
> >>>> fine.? How do we check to see if it's been reported as a bug?
> >>>>
> >>>> Don
> >>> What operating system are you running?? Your version of LIRC is rather
> >>> old (0.9.0), which is what Ubuntu 16.04 uses.? That suggests that you
> >>> are using Ubuntu 16.04 in some form.? But to get a 4.15 kernel on
> >>> Ubuntu 16.04, you must have upgraded it.? Somewhere between 16.04 and
> >>> 18.04, a proper up-to-date version of LIRC was introduced, and I think
> >>> it is likely to not have this problem.? It is likely only the
> >>> combination of a fairly new kernel and the old 0.9.0 LIRC that is
> >>> causing this.
> >> Note that Ubuntu 16.04's original kernel was 4.4. But Ubuntu are now
> >> tracking more recent kernel versions in subsequent point releases. The
> >> 16.04.5 point release upgraded the kernel from 4.13 to 4.15.
> >>
> >> More here:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
> >>
> >> HTH, Jan
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> mythtv-users mailing list
> >> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> >> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> >> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
> > Yes, I'm running 16.04....seems like I just build this box.? I'll keep 
> > running the earlier kernel on this one and build a replacement with 
> > 18.04 in parallel.? I see that the newest and recommended method is to 
> > install a basic Ubuntu desktop, then install Mythtv via apt-get and do 
> > updates with ppa; does that sound correct?
> >
> > Don 
> 
> I recently updated my Xubuntu 16.04 systems to Xubuntu 18.04, by clean 
> install (not in-place upgrade, need to wait till at least 18.04.1 for this).
> 
> I would use the mythbuntu ppa immediately, as this contains a more up to 
> date version of mythtv than in Ubuntu repository, differences between 
> the two will only increase as time goes by.
> 
> Currently mysql database server is installed by default, if you prefer 
> mariadb instead, just use? "sudo apt install mariadb-server" before 
> installing mythtv from the ppa.
> 
> Mike
> 
> 
I just recently did a parallel build as well. I only had to do a "do-release upgrade" and I went from 16.04 to 17.10 and MythTV automatically upgraded to .29 from .28. I was then prompted to upgrade to 18.04 LTS, which I did. I didn't have to do anything with the PPA in apt. 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:14:26 +0200
> From: Jeff <jffry at posteo.net>
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] New MythTV System - everything cool, but
> 	what's up with mythtv-status?
> Message-ID: <c223eb1b-3ab0-a009-815a-12483f923e4e at posteo.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> On 08/07/18 23:01, Nicolas Krzywinski wrote:
> >   * Last thing that still fails at boot is the mythtv-status.service
> >       o It works to manually start it afterwards
> >       o See below the status output
> >       o I assume it is started too fast, but how to solve this?
> 
> I raised this a couple of weeks ago:
> 
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2018-June/396639.html
> 
> Obviously, we can all wait until the author or someone else fixes the
> init script to wait until myth-backend is fully up.
> 
> As far as I can see, the service is reloaded by a cron job every 10
> minutes, so it probably doesn't matter that it start at boot.
> 
> Alternatively, if having the status in the message of the day is not
> important to you, you can just disable the service.
> 
> Regards
> 
> Jeff
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: signature.asc
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 833 bytes
> Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
> URL: <http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20180709/2796a76e/attachment-0001.sig>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of mythtv-users Digest, Vol 184, Issue 8
> ********************************************


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list