[mythtv-users] New MythTV System - everything cool, but what's up with mythtv-status?

Nicolas Krzywinski myth2 at site7even.de
Sun Jul 8 21:01:28 UTC 2018

Hi all,

a few months ago I asked for recommendations in this list for the best upgrade options of my old MythTV v0.27 system that run on Ubuntu 14.04. While I always prefer in-place upgrades, there were many voices to make a fresh install.

So I did it: a few weeks ago I installed a new MythTV system on brand new hardware. Everything went quite good.

These were some minor issues:

  * The database credentials were created automatically and mythbackend was configured automatically accordingly, but mythfrontend asked for them at first run
      o I had to recall the config.xml where to lookup these informations
      o Why not give mythfrontend these credentials automatically as well?
  * I followed the path to avoid LIRC and solely use ir-keytable for my imon remote
      o While this works, it's a bit weird to having reconfigure most of the key ids to values below of 255 to work around this X limitation
      o Additionally not all ids smaller than 255 are working:
          + Some are ignored completely (had to find out that I have to disable the MATE key configurations to allow them get passed through to MythTV)
          + But some of them are not recognised by MythTV (pressed key not recognised)
  * Next obstacle were the channel icons not showing up
      o I understand now that they get downloaded into the wrong user folder, if mythtv-setup is run as a different user
      o This is the intuitive way though, as no one will login to the MythTV box with user "mythtv"
      o This is a predetermined breaking point in my eyes, therefore ;-)
  * Last thing that still fails at boot is the mythtv-status.service
      o It works to manually start it afterwards
      o See below the status output
      o I assume it is started too fast, but how to solve this?

----------------------

me at htpc7even3:~$ sudo systemctl status mythtv-status● mythtv-status.service - LSB: Update the MOTD with the MythTV status   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/mythtv-status; generated)   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-07-08 17:51:57 CEST; 4h 25min ago     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)  Process: 1571 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/mythtv-status start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)Jul 08 17:51:56 htpc7even3 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Update the MOTD with the MythTV status...Jul 08 17:51:57 htpc7even3 mythtv-status[1571]:  * Updating MythTV Status mythtv-statusJul 08 17:51:57 htpc7even3 mythtv-status[1571]:  * Failed to update MOTDJul 08 17:51:57 htpc7even3 systemd[1]: mythtv-status.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1Jul 08 17:51:57 htpc7even3 systemd[1]: mythtv-status.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.Jul 08 17:51:57 htpc7even3 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Update the MOTD with the MythTV status.

----------------------

All in all, the experience while setting up this completely fresh system was quite good!

So big thanks to all the people that contributed to this software (including guides, wiki, etc.).

The new webfrontend is quite cool, sad that its incomplete.

--
Nicolas

MythTV Version : v29.1-22-g675676b
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (4.15.0-23-generic)
Digital Devices GmbH Octopus DVB Adapter via ddbridge kernel module
15c2:0036 SoundGraph Inc. LC16M VFD Display/IR Receiver (imon) via ir-keytable
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3e91 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100T)