[mythtv-users] Sony Android Tv - Mythtv for Android

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 22:43:27 UTC 2018

On 07/03/2018 02:51 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 07/03/2018 02:08 PM, jksj wrote:
>> On 29/06/18 23:48, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>> On 06/29/2018 05:42 PM, jksj wrote:
>>>> On 29/06/18 21:36, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>>>> On 06/29/2018 01:40 PM, jksj wrote:
>>>>>> Thanks - successfully compiled and ran. Startup performance and 
>>>>>> menu handling is fine. Playback OK (not deinterlaced) for SD, 
>>>>>> useless for 1080i. Not being offered hardware decoding with the 
>>>>>> patches applied. 
>>>>> Did you try selecting the "mediacodec normal" playback profile? 
>>>>> How do you know it is not using hardware deecoding?
>>>>> What happens with 1080i playback?
>>>>>> Will try again once the patches are issued in case I screwed up. 
>>>>>> The only real issue for compilation -  is 32-bit ABI bugs 
>>>>>> <https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic/+/master/docs/32-bit-abi.md>     
>>>>>> which requires that the compilation option _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 
>>>>>> to be removed. Presumably this will limit file sizes to 2GB so 
>>>>>> probably makes 32 bit a none starter.
>>>>>> <https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic/+/master/docs/32-bit-abi.md>
>>>>> Not necessarily - files are remote and are read by your backend so 
>>>>> I expect the 2GB limit on the frontend would not matter.
>>>> None of the mediacodec profiles  appear in the list. Presumably you 
>>>> only show those that are available  - so either I screwed the patch 
>>>> or the platform is not offering it. Kodi uses mediacodec and shows 
>>>> the decoder in use as amc-h264. Will try again with a clean build 
>>>> as soon as you push the changes to git. Great work - many thanks.
>>> That indicates that probably mediacodec was not enabled in your 
>>> build. In the patches, mythtv configure has lines added to enable 
>>> mediacodec if buildung for android. Check for mediacodec in 
>>> configure, also check the FFMPEG configure output to make sure 
>>> mediacodec was enabled.
>>> Did you apply the latest patch from the ticket?
>>> Peter
>> Sorry for the slow response but there is an issue with the patch on 
>> my system. The links from the android packaging directory to the two 
>> new files are created to mythtv/libs/libmyth instead of 
>> mythtv/libs/libmythtv where they should be. If I hand create them it 
>> builds ok.
>> The patch 20180629_ff_rew_fixed runs as before with SD ok.
>> HD (1080i 50Hz) was much improved by the new codec, previously the 
>> picture was virtually a slide show. Now it runs without crashing but 
>> is unacceptably jerky. Both CPU cores are running at 100% using H.264 
>> mediacodec. Its a 2 core 1GHZ CPU running in 2GBytes memory. You can 
>> tell it starts to swap at playback start so the memory is barely enough.
>> Did not try anything else as basic playback was unacceptable due to 
>> the machine being underpowered.
> I have in the works a patch to reduce memory usage, which may help. It 
> is not ready and at the moment I am struggling with another playback 
> issue on Shield.
> Peter
I have added a new patch to the ticket, which reduces memory usage and 
fixes some other issues. It is possible that you may have a crash on 
playing 1080 content, let me know if that happens. I made a fix for 
Shield Oreo and I hope it did not break playback on others.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20180705/226e4094/attachment.html>

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list