[mythtv-users] SMR drives on Mythtv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 31 23:17:18 UTC 2018

On 01/31/2018 02:43 PM, Shawn Flynn wrote:
> According to the Seagate datasheet[1], these are TGMR (Tunneling Giant Magneto-Resistive) head drives not SMR. It's a high density variant of PMR that Seagate brought out circa 2011. I have several of the 2TB and 4TB variants of these drives running and they are very good with sustained writes as you would see while recording in myth.
>
> [1] https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/barracuda-fam/barracuda-new/en-us/docs/100805918d.pdf

Good to know.  I knew it was TGMR, but didn't know if that was mutually
exclusive with SMR.  I didn't know if TGMR was a lower-level recording
method which can be shingled or not shingled. Does that mean that SMR
uses SMR-specific recording heads, and any other recording method
specified is not shingled?

Mike