[mythtv-users] which user should setup mythtv and xmltv??

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 20:23:47 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 6:58 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> having recently run into permission issue I'd like some advice on what
> should be done by which user??
>
> I use Ubuntu 16.04 and used to use Mythbuntu 16.04 so a lot of things just
> happened.
>
> My normal process is to install Ubuntu and create myself as the user,
> "jim". I do all my work as "jim" and sudo when I need to.
>
> When you initially run mythtv-setup it adds "jim" to the mythtv group and
> I logout then back in, again as "jim".
>
> Generally, I could do everything as "jim" once I got to v0.28 and not 29.
> On 0.27 I'd have issues if I ran mythfilldatabase as "jim" due to some
> files created in /tmp without being user "mythtv".
>
> So with v29, I've had no issue until I converted to XMLTV from the
> internal SchedulesDirect grabber. It seems that the grabber will run
> automatically as user 'mythtv', but if I run it manually as 'jim', it's
> looking for config and database files under the wrong user.
>
> So what I'm asking, is should I just start doing all setup and maintenance
> work as user "mythtv"?  Meaning making mythtv a full user with password,
> put on the sudoers list, and have a proper shell.
>
> Jim A

I run mythtv as my normal user (not mythtv) so I do not run into issues
like these - I use my server for a lot of other stuff and it is just easier
IMO.  The mythtv user after all is a normal user anyhow - there are no
restrictions placed on it (well, last I looked when I ran an *buntu
derivative years ago for a brief moment).