[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 11:28:48 UTC 2018

> One more thing.  When you set up the initial database, the script
> should be running as the user which runs mythbackend, which is mythtv
> in my case.  The files get put in the currrent user's home directory
> so this is important.
>
> If you do this as a different user, you can try to copy the relevant
> folder (~/.xmltv) to your mythbackend user's home directory, but it's
> easy to make a mistake there. You can try it though.  'sudo cp -R
> ~/.xmltv /<mythtv_home_dir>/'.  Be sure to 'chown -R mythtv:mythtv
> .xmltv' (or whatever user it happens to be in Ubuntu)  If in doubt
> where that home directory is, you can check the user's entry in
> /etc/passwd.
>
> This is the sort of thing that I like to try but it's really safer to
> do it the right way and just log in as the mythtv user.   It will
> probably save you time in the long run.  I happen to have a password
> for the mythtv user.  I finally just set a password for the mythtv
> user because I have to log in as that user a lot.  'sudo passwd
> mythtv' will do that for you.  And you may have to add a shell for him
> in /etc/passwd.  Then you can just 'su - mythtv' and login.  Again, I
> don't know the way that Ubuntu is set up.
>
> Sorry if this is too simplistic.
>
> Running 'su - mythtv -c '/usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite' may do the
> trick if you don't have a password for mythtv.

I checked the morning and at 2AM mythfilldatabase ran automatically and
FAILED.  At least that is what is displayed with on a FE. I used System
Information and check the Schedule Status.  It FAILED with error code 1,
but I can't find a log file that gives me any detail.

If it's a permission problem I can chown mythtv:mythtv for the XMLTV
related config and database files, but not sure how to figure this one out.

Jim A