[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Fri Jan 26 16:03:27 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 01/26/2018 10:08 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>

> On 01/26/2018 09:44 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>
> My Mythtv backend uses Schedules Direct for the program guide.  It works
> great, most of the time. I use it for USA OTA ATCS programming. I took the
> defaults when setting it up.  Nothing more than putting in my account info
> for SD.
>
> In researching an issue I looked at the wiki on mythfilldatabase and read
> about the use of DataDirect format or XMLTV format.  I don’t know if I care
> but what am I using.  The recommended per the wiki is XMLTV even for
> Schedules Direct.
>
> Jim Abernathy
> jfabernathy at gmail.com
>

> The XMLTV through SD option gets you three weeks of schedules instead of
> 13 days. It  also supplies season and episode, and gives icons for all
> channels. It is also harder to set up.
>

> So it looks like there are some advantages to switching to an XMLTV
> grabber for Schedules Direct. Any recommendations on setup and switching
> other than what is on the Wiki at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV  ?
>
> Jim A

When I read this thread, I took a look at my setup.  I thought I was using
the tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite grabber but I was mistaken.  I ran
mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all in a terminal and saw that I was using the
other SD XML grabber.  I went to mythtv-setup and found there are two
settings, and I could not make out which one was which from the theme I
have been using (the description was too long and for some reason my screen
dropped in resolution doing ssh -X).  I just switched to the next one,
which was just below a "France (XML)" entry.  I believe the one I was using
was below the "Spain" entry.  That's how I see it on my system.

I had already set up the database a while ago with the desired channels as
per the Wiki but I guess I've been downloading a lot more channel
information than I needed to.  I was wondering why it was taking so long
but just forgot about it and moved on.  No real harm done, I suppose.  I'm
sure I waste more bandwidth than that daily in other ways!  But it's the
principle.

So if you can't determine which SD XML grabber to use in mythtv-setup, try
a different theme or just scan your mythfilldatabase output from the
terminal.

It's great to have more information and really the hardest part is the
initial choosing of channels in the database setup for the grabber (see the
wiki).  That might take you 10 minutes or so.  After that, it's pretty
straightforward.