[mythtv-users] Upgrade Ubuntu 14 to 16 LTS and errors with MYSQL

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Jan 16 15:36:38 UTC 2018

On 01/16/2018 09:39 AM, Mitchell Gore wrote:
Hello,

initially i wanted to just upgrade MythTV .28 to .29.  After enabling the .29 repo i was getting dependency errors around libmyth.  I ended up doing a Ubuntu release upgrade to 16.04 LTS.  That was all going well until i ran into upgraded MySQL to 5.7 and got the table_cache=128 error from the mythtv-tweaks.cnf file.  I got this error:

Setting up mysql-server-5.7 (5.7.20-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) ...
Renaming removed key_buffer and myisam-recover options (if present)
ERROR: Unable to start MySQL server:
2018-01-16T00:28:57.390552Z 0 [ERROR] unknown variable 'table_cache=128'
2018-01-16T00:28:57.392762Z 0 [ERROR] Aborting
Please take a look at https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/MySQL/FAQ for tips on fixing common upgrade issues.
Once the problem is resolved, run apt-get --fix-broken install to retry.
dpkg: error processing package mysql-server-5.7 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
 mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.7; however:
  Package mysql-server-5.7 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package mysql-server (--configure):
 mysql-server-5.7
 mysql-server

I cleared that line from the file and reran the sudo apt-get upgrade and all seamed okay.  I was able to upgrade to .29 without issue.

The problems began when i went to upgrade the database by running mythbackend from command line.  For some reason mythbackend was unable to log into the database.  I am able to log into MySQL as root and my MythTV user using the password in /etc/mythtv/config.xml.  The database is still there as well.

I have tried downgrading MythTV to .28 and still get the same errors.  I have also removed MySQL and reinstalled.  At this point i am lost.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mitchell

I also have had problems with the upgrading process.  I never could get the upgrade from .27 to .28.  So I just backed up all recordings and the database and completely started over and restored the recording and database.  Had no problems after that.

I tried to upgrade in place from 16.04 mythtv .28 to v29, but again too many errors.  So I again backed up all the recordings to a NAS and backed up the database. I created a new Ubuntu 16.04 system and went straight to v29 of mythtv.  Restored the recordings and database and all is well.

That's the only process that I've had work for me.  If you are interested I documented what I did recently so I'd have it somewhere to reference if I had to do it all again due to failed hardware or something. http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2018/01/creating-combined-mythtv-headless.html

Jim A