[mythtv-users] Video output size changed

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:15:41 UTC 2018

On 15/01/18 13:48, Jim wrote:
> I rebooted my BE/FE Saturday and when it came back up the picture was
> no longer full screen. It's not quite letterboxed, it's somewhere
> between full screen and letterboxed. It's got about a 2" black band
> across the top and bottom and about a 1" band down both sides. It's
> connected via HDMI to a 44" Samsung, as it has been for a couple of
> years.
> I don't think it's a myth issue as the toolbar on the desktop is the
> same way. It stops about an inch from the screen edges. It seems to
> not know the tv/screen size anymore.
> Ignoring the fact that it is not using the full screen the aspect
> ratio is wrong, things are now squished top to bottom.
>
> I don't understand what could have changed. This has been working fine
> since I updated to v29 on Jan 1st. And on v0.28 for several months
> before that. I have not made any changes. I did try rebooting several
> times and now it is always coming back up like this.
>
> Here is version info fixes/29 [v29.0-71-g339b08e]
>
> Here is a frontend log
> https://pastebin.com/ZRX5FJzN
> There is a lot about waiting for video buffers and VDPAU errors.
>
> and here is a backend log
> https://pastebin.com/PXyyUKZ1
> This log shows some errors about not being able to find channel 4_1. I
> know that issue and I'll fix that.
>
> This pc has an NVIDIA card in it and I'm wondering if the driver has
> gotten corrupted. Not sure what to do about that.
>
> Any suggestions?

What is the NVIDIA card and what is your linux kernel version ?

I recently had a problem on Xubuntu 16.04 LTS with an older NVIDIA
(Geforce 210) card  caused by the the latest update (Meltdown/Spectre)
to  kernel 4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 22:00:44
UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  which tries to install  NVIDIA driver 384.111, the NVIDIA install
crashes.  Previously I was using NVIDIA 340 driver.

Mike