[mythtv-users] running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Sat Jan 13 17:01:04 UTC 2018

Indeed and sorry I did not read your question well enough.
ssh -X (with or without a desktop) has irritating lags (that vnc does not) caused I believe by the GL stuff.
It was irratating enough for me to go the vnc route. but not often or intrusive enough to for me tp spelunk.

I really don’t think wasting a couple of Gs on xfce is worth the pain of not having a desktop :-)

James

I finally figured out how to use Xquartz on my Macbook Pro to control my backend mythtv server remotely.

Install Xquartz.
Launch Xquartz
Select Xquartz Application -> Terminal
sudo ssh -X jim at 192.168.0.205<mailto:jim at 192.168.0.205> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup

This works for me without significant lag.  I would only use it for mythtv-setup and I only run that once every few months at most.

Jim A