[mythtv-users] Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 16:47:40 UTC 2018


On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
> >
> >> wrote:
> >> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Tom Dexter <
> digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> >> > wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> I give with these things. The ebay seller I got this from sent me
> >> >> another one of these and it's just as void of any life as the first
> >> >> one...again, even testing with the Windows stuff as described above.
> >> >> If knows the device is there but simply isn't getting anything from
> >> >> any remotes.
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> > OMG...I emailed Iguanaworks support with the details and got a reply
> >> > which may have answered all of this...though I'm waiting for another
> >> > reply confirming this.
> >> >
> >> > It's looking like I may have received the wrong unit. That is rather
> >> > than this, with a built-in receiver:
> >> >
> >> > https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/
> >> >
> >> > ...it appears I may have received this, which has NO receiver at all
> >> > and works with a wired receiver:
> >> >
> >> > https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/
> socket-receive/
> >> >
> >> > Unless you look into the end of the thing with a light, they look
> >> > basically identical. Again...waiting for another reply to confirm but
> >> > I'm almost sure that's what happened. For the love of all that is holy
> >> > anyway...
> >> >
> >> > Tom
> >>
> >> Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
> >> keeps getting worse.
> >>
> >> I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
> >> which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
> >> farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
> >> took a month and  a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
> >> even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
> >> when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
> >> assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
> >> support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
> >> I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
> >> no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
> >> shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.
> >>
> >> Under both Linux and Windows it's the same. The unit itself is seen
> >> but gets no input. Just plain crazy.
> >>
> >> What concerns me is that, which nVidia dropping support for 32 bit
> >> operating systems, a time will come where I'll need to replace my old
> >> frontend (which has a very reliable serial port receiver), and I
> >> simply can NOT find a USB IR that works. Beyond insane.
> >>
> >> As I've mentioned before I have an MCE receiver that works, but has so
> >> much lag and is so unreliable as to be unusable, and now I'm at a
> >> total brick wall with this. Just insane.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >
> >
> > I know you do not like the lag on MCE usb stuff, but I have several of
> these
> > receivers:
> >
> > GP-IR02BK(TSES-IR18)
> >
> > That's the model number on it.  I never knew IR could be faster - it is
> no
> > more laggy than a remote that comes with my TVs controlling the TVs
> > themselves.  And of course MythTV running on a quad core i7 will
> obviously
> > feel faster than any "rented" provider's piece of equipment no matter how
> > laggy the IR feels to you :)
> >
> > I have never had anything else to compare with though....
> >
> > I have used these units since 2009 or 2010 since I started using MythTV
> - I
> > cannot recall ever missing a keypress.  The remotes that come with them
> are
> > crap, but I use harmonies with Windows Media Center as the type in the
> > Harmony software.  I just switched most frontends to nVidia Shields, so
> they
> > are decommissioned, but if you can still find that model number
> somewhere -
> > they work well for me (my TV still uses one).  I velcro(ed) them to the
> > bottoms of the TVs and they have 2 IR blaster ports that I assume just
> > repeat whatever they receive - I have never used them.
> >
> > Of course if your Iguana fiasco doesn't pan out - that is weird - must be
> > something with USB.  Does your motherboard have the serial header that
> you
> > could get the DB9 cable and use actual serial?  I know the latest board I
> > bought still had it, but have also seen new ones without the header at
> all..
> >
> > If you have a /dev/ttyS0, etc - then you may have the header too.  I
> cannot
> > imagine them putting a 232 (or more advanced) chip on the board without
> > adding the header.  RS232 has no loopback signals, so with or without
> being
> > cabled up, you should still see it if it is active in BIOS or EFI.
> >
> >
>
> Thanks for the reply! Actually my current situation is that I'm still
> using my old x86 frontend which has an RS232 serial port. I was
> without my serial IR for a while but was able to fix a broken solder
> joint on it, so I'm fine with that for now. I've been mostly trying to
> determine the best option once I need to go USB, and it's been grim.
> With that Iguana, I'm hoping I can possibly return the wired receiver,
> plus the USB units I have and have them tell me if any of it works, as
> I'm at a complete impasse...insane. With both USB units (which are
> recognized by the OS) I get no data testing on this Linux machine or
> two different Windows 10 machines.
>
> I'd love to find one of the MCE receivers you're talking about. The
> one I bought has no visible model and looks like this one:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inteset-USB-External-Infrared-
> IR-Media-Center-Receiver-with-Cable-NEW/172971805481
>
> This is what the kernel sees:
>
> [962933.888618] rc rc1: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> Transceiver (1934:5168) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0/rc/rc1
> [962933.888703] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> Transceiver (1934:5168) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-
> 1:1.0/rc/rc1/input29
> [962934.038551] mceusb 5-1:1.0: Registered FINTEK eHome Infrared
> Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 2
> [962934.038556] mceusb 5-1:1.0: 0 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx
> sensors (0x1 active)
>
> If I search for that GP-IR02BK(TSES-IR18) it appears that the
> GP-IR02BK part is a model for an actual MCE remote control(?). Can't
> find much on that.
>
> Thanks again
> Tom
>


Mine is :
[1843343.252305] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1784,
idProduct=0008
[1843343.252311] usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=3
[1843343.252315] usb 1-1.1: Product: eHome Infrared Transceiver
[1843343.252376] usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: Topseed Technology Corp.
[1843343.252379] usb 1-1.1: SerialNumber: TS000D0r
[1843343.254262] rc rc0: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
(1784:0008) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0/rc/rc0
[1843343.254701] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb) registered
at minor = 0
[1843343.254715] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[1843343.254832] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
(1784:0008) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0/rc/rc0/input9
[1843343.363079] mceusb 1-1.1:1.0: Registered Topseed Technology Corp.
eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[1843343.363086] mceusb 1-1.1:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors
(0x1 active)

And this is the actual unit - although Amazon does not sell them any more,
but I bought them from NewEgg back in the "pre-Amazon" days :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W5GK5C?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data

I see it is rc6 versus your rc1 - not sure if that matters - I am no IR
expert, but I used to buy Phillips Prontos, which were very cool for
programming and look, but had very few hard buttons.  I came to realize
quickly that a cheaper remote with hard buttons was much more important to
me (for not having to look at it) than blingy (is that a word) remotes.

I doubt you can find them any longer, (I just spent a few minutes trying to
find one to buy) nor if they are any better/worse than other MCE devices,
but like I said, I have not had any issues, and more importantly for your
usage - have no way to benchmark it versus an Iguana.  I know back in the
early days, there were a lot of Myth users using Iguana prior to MCE
remotes coming out.  It seemed the most stable and easy to configure at the
time - I am just a hobbyist who tinkers, but I have not yet had to tinker
with remotes - I have just "been happy".  sub-second responses are not
important to me while I watch TV usually..  Just menu, exit, ff, rw, skip
f, skip b, play and pause are all I usually use - if I find myself trying
to do something else, I am usually getting the keyboard out or having to
switch my remote to "device" mode which puts human lag in the situation
anyhow..
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20180107/d9a46e3e/attachment.html>


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list