[mythtv-users] running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jan 7 00:44:44 UTC 2018



> On 7 Jan 2018, at 1:37 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> 
> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
> 
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC.  Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
> 
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done.  I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??


Jim another answer that works well

I installed x11vnc on my server
I installed this file in /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service

[Unit]
Description=x11vnc VNC Server for X11
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -ncache 10 -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -nopw -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -xkb -norc -noxrecord -nomodtweak

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

enabled it at boot time
# systemctl enable x11vnc.service

Then using any vnc viewer (I use chickenvnc) you can connect, get a desktop, do all you be admin (then you can use start in place of enable or just reboot)

James


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list