[mythtv-users] running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 17:14:33 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com>
> wrote:
> > So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv
> and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I
> don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
> >
> > The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC.  Is
> there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
> >
> > Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do
> the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done.  I
> would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup,
> Right??
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> Others may have better suggestions, but this is one option:
>
> While I haven't done so in many years and can't recall the details,
> I've done this from Windows using by installing cygwin. When I did
> this, as I recall, I didn't run any sort of full desktop in cygwin,
> but was able to configure it to run a terminal program within X. I
> believe I used urxvt. With that running within X I was able to use ssh
> -X no problem.
>
> Another nice aspect of cygwin is that it uses all standard 'nix sort
> of stuff, for example ~/.ssh and normal ssh keys, unlike those Godless
> putty format ssh keys etc.
>
> Tom

I have successfully used cygwin in windows to do it, and for OSX, it does
it natively.  I returned my MBPro shortly after I ordered it the one time I
briefly used one, but with the X extension that can be installed (not sure
what it was called exactly, but it is in the OS settings somewhere), you
can run X11 apps over ssh just fine (exactly like linux).

I have not used Wayland on my frontends yet, but I can still display apps
over ssh using wayland on my laptop and connecting to my X11 frontends.