[mythtv-users] Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Jan 5 23:42:54 UTC 2018



> On Jan 5, 2018, at 2:26 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> 
> On 05/01/18 00:47, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> So I saw some recommendations about using Centos7 for stability for a base for Mythtv backend.  I’ve always used Ubuntu based O/S like Xubuntu LTS or mythbuntu. No issues with stability, but I have not run any other server features on that PC.
>> How well supported is mythtv on Centos?  The wiki instructions point to using nux and the link for that yum is a dead link, at least today.  I’m building a VM to test mythtv on Centos7 minimal, but I have a lot to learn and it starts with why nux and dextop is not there.
>> Jim A
> 
> I commented earlier about the delayed arrival of rpmfusion support for CentOS 7/Scientific Linux 7/ RHEL7 /el7, which probably explains why the nux repo has been recommended.  It may still have some unique media packages, and I have seen a report that its operator has provided responsive support.  I used it for some time with no problems that I remember, and I find that I still have some of its packages installed. Now I'm running master and my current build system doesn't use it at all.
> 
> But I just looked at the site and it's still there, with MythTV packages for 0.27 (Oct 2014), 0.28 (Aug 2016) and 29 (Oct 2017).
> 
> It's in the "Nux Dextop" repo here:
> 
> http://li.nux.ro/repos.html
> 
> to enable it, or browse at
> 
> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/
> 
> John P
> 
> 

So I got to work on the Centos7 mythtv in a VM for test and then I quickly realized I hadn’t worked with Fedora or Centos for 6 or 7 years. No way to solve all the dependency problems.  Too big a learning curve for an old man.  I’ll stick with Ubuntu LTS based.  Thanks for the confirmation that all Linux DISTROs are complicated. I can get mythtv up and running on Ubuntu server or Desktop in under 30 minutes. So I’ll stay there.

I think what I’ll test next is getting a PC with 4-2TB of drives and a Core i7 processor running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server with Mythtv backend, cifs, nfs and try to setup file share on the drives.  I may try some software RAID mirrors to give a little protection.  All my PCs are on UPS’s so I don’t fear hard drive crashes from power failures.

Wish me luck :-)

Jim A


> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list