[mythtv-users] combining hardware and still running mythtv

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jan 5 01:36:48 UTC 2018

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 18:15:28 -0500, you wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com>
>wrote:
>

>> If I had any confidence that I could backup my Win10 system with Macrium
>> Reflect and then restore at some point, then I could use that hardware for
>> a test.  I can use some external USB drives to dump everything off the N4F
>> NAS and reuse that hardware.  I’m more confident with that option.
>>

>If you have a basic Win10 system, I'd just back it up with Clonezilla.
>I've done that a few times.  I have Win10 on another partition on this
>machine and don't use it as much (thank goodness), but I have restored over
>Samba on the network when there was a Windows issue.   There always will
>be, with a cryptic error code and nowhere to turn.
>
>Clonezilla is great and free.

+1 for Clonezilla.  I use it for backups of partitions and whole
drives, both Linux and Windows, and it works very well.  The text
based GUI is not the easiest to use, but works well once you are used
to it.  I have done restores of many backups when testing new things,
on Windows and Linux, and it always works.  With Windows restores,
there is no option to change the ID of the Windows setup, so if you
are moving a Windows system to a new location, you have to make sure
the old system is shut down when running the new restored version,
until you can change its ID.