[mythtv-users] combining hardware and still running mythtv

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 01:03:59 UTC 2018

> Took a week to get things reconfigured and documented and learn KVM's
> quirks. It's now been in place for about a week, and so far i've seen no
> difference than running the services on the physical host. if it's host
> issues, i should be back online within a day. Guest issues then it'll only
> break that specific service.
>
> well worth looking into KVM over virtualbox though. i found it performs
> better and more suited to headless servers.

Or also have a look at Proxmox. KVM is very good but the management tools
are limited. There's VM Manager which you have to run over an X session on
your Windows PC which I think is more complicated than it should be, and
the web-based admin tools for KVM are very limited. Proxmox, on the other
hand, is built around a superb web interface for managing the hypervisor
and it's VMs/containers. And it's super-simple to install while giving you
pretty much the same features you'd get with KVM (KVM is under the hood).
And it's free just like KVM (though you can opt for a paid subscription if
you want support from the company rather than the community).