[mythtv-users] combining hardware and still running mythtv

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 4 21:27:16 UTC 2018

On 05/01/18 06:25, Tim Draper wrote:

> i did look at docker (everything i run is available with docker containers but the fact they don't seem to work well in the long term with regard to patching, it wasn't the route i took. that said, i did use a bit of the docker mentality of keeping the containers (VM guests) to a minimum by keeping live data outside of them. SQL is the exception as it stores it's DB's inside the VM. All others reference their data via samba share.

I'm currently using Centos 7 with Docker. It is probably just because I
seem to always do things differently for some (or no) reason but I have
ended up rolling pretty much all of my own Docker containers. I am very
very pleased with the results so far but at the same time it has been a
lot of work. In addition to being able to control all the patching and
updates I have set them up pretty much as build scripts to custom tailor
things to my environment. And the overhead compared to VM's is so much
smaller. Still very much a work in progress but it has been very satisfying.