[mythtv-users] Hard drive selection when Mythtv is in a VM

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:11:37 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com>
wrote:

> I`ll chime in, I`m running a centos 7 kvm setup, should do it in a
> container but ive been lazy. The mythtv is a kvm vm with a whole disk
> passed through for storage, that way I can mount my disk outside of myth if
> needed etc.  You can do that with a vm disk but just easier for me if i
> need to do it in the future etc.
> __
>

> I’d need at lot more research on adding the extra drive just for the VM to
> record on.  Not sure how to pass the whole drive through to the VM.  I
> think I still have to create VDI pointing to that hard drive.  More work,
> but I think it’s worth a test.
>
> Jim A

Glad to hear so many people have it running via VMs good now.  I know years
ago people would end up with issues with broken recordings.  For that
reason in my case everything on my server is virtualized or containered
except mythtv.  I don't get the ease of snapshots on upgrades, but the same
isolation where nothing else happening screws up myth.

Jon