[mythtv-users] Hard drive selection when Mythtv is in a VM

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:01:25 UTC 2018

On Jan 4, 2018 8:43 AM, "Lee Whitty" <lee.whitty at gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Lee Whitty <lee.whitty at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm running my mythtv backend in a VM on Fedora. I mirrored all of my VM
> drives after having a failed drive last year. Having the ability to easily
> snapshot a VM prior to making changes is invaluable. So is having the
> ability to easily expand the drive to hold additional content, and easily
> backup the VM by copying the qcow file to another drive.
>
> One thing I'd do differently, and what others have mentioned, would be to
> store the recordings directory on a separate VM drive. I could live with
> losing my recordings, and it would keep the VM much smaller and easier to
> back up. I will likely reconfigure this at some point.
>
> -Lee
>
> Lee Whitty
> lee.whitty at gmail.com
>

> So you keep your main VM drive small and create a new Virtural Drive for
> recordings.  Do you go ahead and pre-allocate the complete size of the
> recording Virtual drive?
>
> JIm A

I use thin provisioning, so the space for the VM drive file isn't allocated
until it's needed. I also have scripts to monitor free space on the
physical drives so I can take action if they're in danger of running out of
space.

-Lee

I`ll chime in, I`m running a centos 7 kvm setup, should do it in a
container but ive been lazy. The mythtv is a kvm vm with a whole disk
passed through for storage, that way I can mount my disk outside of myth if
needed etc.  You can do that with a vm disk but just easier for me if i
need to do it in the future etc.