[mythtv-users] Hard drive selection when Mythtv is in a VM

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Thu Jan 4 01:27:40 UTC 2018

I know some of you have Mythtv backends running in a VM. What is the best way to configure the hard drive you use for recorded TV?  I did a test build using VirtualBox 5.2.4 under Windows 10 and installed Xubuntu 16.04; just used a partition on the VDI created for the VM for recordings.  That works in limited testing.  I think I could install a dedicated drive and configure it just for the VM to use for recordings, but not sure that’s any better, but it would be dedicated and not a dynamically created virtual drive.  Looking for what has been thoroughly tested.

I’ve also toyed with using the VirtualBox under NAS4Free.  I can just use a directory on the NAS directly.  That VM has been very unstable  so far unrelated to the mythtv.  I’m chasing down potential problem with the NAS4Free system to make sure it’s not hardware.

Thoughts?

Jim A