[mythtv-users] HDMI audio change

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Feb 28 15:32:56 UTC 2018

On 28/02/18 11:39, jksj wrote:
> There have been a couple of recent threads concerning HDMI audio. Just
> to confirm that when running Ubuntu LTS 16.04 a system change occurred
> in January that caused audio to swap ports. This happened on both the
> 4.4 and 4.13 kernels.
>
> |speaker-test -t wav -c 6 -D 'hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7' # works on 4.4.0-112|
>
> |but on later kernels the device changes to 3

> ||speaker-test -t wav -c 6 -D 'hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3'||
>

> |My hardware config is a GT1030 using driver ||390.25.|

I'm puzzled by my current audio devices in f26.  I used to see intel HDA
and NVidia hdmi as alternatives offered on the desktop.  Now I don't see
an intel option, but saa7134_alsa has appeared and seems to be causing
trouble, as reported in my earlier post about the frontend audio-system
tests.  I don't think I want it.  The saa7134 PCI card has always been
physically present and is my main DVB-T SD card in that box.  'modprobe
-r saa7134_alsa' just failed, reporting that it was in use.  Perhaps I
need to zap it earlier.

GeForce GT 710 with GK 708 audio subsystem, video driver 390.25,
4.15.4-200.fc26.x86_64

dmesg | grep -i nvidia shows HDMI/DP, pcm=3 and 7, as cardd0/inputs 7 and 8

dmesg | grep -i hda shows a vga switcheroo audio client...

HDMI stereo works but defaults to HDMI2 mode and fails on start of
playback of some files.  Usually recovers on setting to plain HDMI