[mythtv-users] Export to videos on 0.28.2 (Myth-Rec-to-Vid.py)

Preston Crow pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net
Fri Feb 23 20:25:03 UTC 2018

On 02/22/18 23:13, Preston Crow wrote:
> On 02/22/18 22:27, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 02/22/2018 06:53 PM, Preston Crow wrote:
>>> I've been using the Myth-Rec-to-Vid.py script for some time, and it
>>> has worked great for me.
>>>
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth-Rec-to-Vid.py
>>>
>>> I recently did a major upgrade on my system, including bumping from
>>> 0.28.1 to 0.28.2, and now the script is failing.  I'm not a Python
>>> programmer, but added some log lines to track it down, and it's
>>> failing on the line:
>>>
>>>              results = grab.sortedSearch(self.rec.title,
>>> self.rec.subtitle)
>>>
>>> The message I get is:
>>>
>>>          Myth-Rec-to-Vid.py ERROR in Processing  -- Message was:
>>> External system call failed: code 126
>>>
>>> I can't say whether this is from the 0.28.1 -> 0.28.2 upgrade, or if
>>> it's due to upgrading everything else on my system.  I tried
>>> checking the 0.28.2 release notes on the Wiki, but nobody has
>>> created that page yet.
>>>
>>> If it matters, I'm running Gentoo, with my own 0.28.2 ebuilds
>>> (https://bugs.gentoo.org/648564).
>>>
>>> I would like to get this resolved in 0.28.2 before upgrading to
>>> 29.1, unless there's good reason to suspect a bug only in 0.28.2.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for what to try?
>>
>> I'd guess that the line above is where the failure happens.
>> VideoGraber(), which appears
>> twice in the script you mentioned (I don't use it.)
>>
>> Look in your Python bindings for the file dataheap.py. Note that it
>> can be used for
>> either TV or MOVIE data and ends up calling one of:
>>
>>         path = {'tv':'metadata/Television/ttvdb.py',
>>                 'movie':'metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py'}
>>
>> Last year TTVDB moved to a new API. You might try running the
>> grabber from command line to see if it's failing.
>>
>> See also: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/TheTVDB_API_v2
>>

> Yes, it looks like that's it.  Thanks.  This is also used for
> retrieving metadata in mythvideo, which is also failing.  The video
> export script works just fine for movies.
>
> What does work is the metadata lookup job within MythTV, which gets a
> background image for the series.  I'm guessing that doesn't use the
> same script, or at least not the same options.
>
> I tried the ttvdb.py script from 29.1, and had the same results.
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13084
>
> Apparently a lot of work went in to getting this script adjusted for
> the new format.  Did something get missed where it's still broken for
> mythvideo and the export script?
>
> I found that if I comment out the entire else statement where the line
> is failing, it behaves as if it couldn't find a match in the lookup
> and exports the video just fine.  The only issue is that it doesn't
> fill in the cast and director data.
>
> So I can work around it for now, and once it's fixed, I can load the
> metadata inside mythvideo, but I would like to get it fixed. Any ideas
> on that?
I've solved the problem!

I grabbed the command line from a failed run from the logs so that I
could run it directly, and I ran it with strace to see the failure. When
it's forking to run the grabber, the exec call is:
/bin/sh -c /usr/share/mythtv/ -l en -N ...
Obviously it's missing the name of the grabber.

Shortly before that in the trace, I see sendto() calls with "SELECT data
from settings WHERE value='TelevisionGrabber' AND hostname=..."

Looking in mythweb at the settings for MythTV, I see that the value for
that field is blank.  I manually set it to
"metadata/Television/ttvdb.py" (similar to how MovieGrabber is already
set), and now everything works!

I have no idea how the TelevisionGrabber setting got wiped.  I certainly
wasn't playing with it.  But if anyone else sees error 126 from this
script, that's what Bash returns if you try to execute a directory, so
it is indicating a missing setting.