[mythtv-users] Correct setup?

Stefan Davids mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net
Wed Feb 21 08:51:54 UTC 2018

On 20/02/18 21:46, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:54:18PM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:

>>> Good. I'm glad it's working now.  But it seems the real problem was a
>>> firmware/driver mismatch for your pctv 292e device.  I suppose that is
>>> suggested in the linuxtv notes, but they tend to get out of date.
>>>
>>> I hope you enjoy the extra pixels.  I don't use them very often.  :-)
>>
>> Yes, maybe it was a firmware/driver issue but it has worked with HD
>> before with the old firmware/driver.
>>
>> I've got used to HD so I prefer not to go back to SD.
>
> Unfortunately I have to pick up this thread again since I never fully
> got it working.
>
> The problems that still remains are:
> - Even though I have 2 different capture cards (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
>    500 and pctv tripleStick 292e) with a total of 3 adapters it doesn't
>    record simultaneous recordings. It always reschedule shows to record
>    one at a time. I have set the maximum number of simultaneous recordings
>    to 2 for each device.

This certainly works for me.  I have my two 292e's with 4 maximum
simultaneous recordings each and it has no problems when it can do it.
I presume you've checked the things you want to record simultaneously
really are on the same multiplex?

I'd echo what Stephen Worthington said; make sure you delete and
recreate the video sources so mythtv gets to create the entries for it
itself.  Worth doing the tuners too if you haven't already.  At least
then it's all a known clean starting point.

If you want my database entries for comparison let me know and I can
email you.

> - I still have trouble finding the HD channels and a few times I
>    succeded but I then failed to get a lock on any HD channel.

Could be a reception issue?  Do you have a TV with an HD tuner or
something else to test with?  Or try the 292e on a windows machine for
comparison?  I don't think the Linux driver has the signal strength
reader working.

If you can get it to work once then it feels more like a reception
issue; finding the channel in channel scan and then failing to tune to
it is the typical failure mode I get when atmospherics affect the
more marginal multiplexes I get.  I've also had to be very careful about
the quality of the signal splitters I've used.

Good luck

Stefan