[mythtv-users] back to back mythtv updates??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 14:50:39 UTC 2018

Jim Abernathy
jfabernathy at gmail.com

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 9:13 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
> On 01/02/18 12:10, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> I was doing some maintenance  unrelated to mythtv on the server that
>> runs my mythbackend yesterday morning.  I noticed that I had a lot of
>> packages needing updates including the mythtv suite. This was the first
>> update I've had on mythtv v29 is a while.  I did the upgrade and
>> rebooting figuring I was done for a while.  This morning I could not get
>> my frontends to connect and found the backend not working.  Several
>> kernel crashes in the log.  I rebooted and paid a lot of attention to
>> the backend server and saw that it had another update needing to be done
>> for mythtv.
>>
>> Did something happen that was caught in yesterdays update that had to be
>> redone/fixed in today's??
>>

> The only reason i can see for the described behaviour, is if you moved
> between OS releases as part of your updates, which then point to a
> repo with updated mythtv packages.

Well I don’t think that is the issue.  My server has been on Ubuntu 16.04.3 since it was created and when I do updates it’s:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

I’ve gotten a lot of Linux kernel updates recently.  Most likely related to the Meltdown Spectre fixes.  I imagine there might be a history of what mythtv updates got done yesterday vs. this morning. /var/log/apt/history shows a lot of mythtv packages with the date code 20180128. Some had the code 20180201.

Jim A