[mythtv-users] HD Hiomerun works better in HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Mon Dec 31 19:36:45 UTC 2018

On 12/30/2018 9:36 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 15:32:07 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> On 12/30/2018 2:40 PM, Don Brett wrote:
>>> I have a roof mounted antenna and my house is within 3-5 miles of all
>>> the local channels.  Signal strengths are very good.  Shows are always
>>> pixelated in MythTV, some worse than others, but it happens on pretty
>>> much every show.   On a whim, I tried the HDHomeRun viewer, which is
>>> supplied by Silicon Dust, everything looks perfect.  Is there a mythtv
>>> update or setting I should be looking at?  Any suggestions on how to
>>> diagnose?
>>>
>>> Don
> Is it a recording problem or a playback problem?  Find one of the
> recordings that gives pixellation in MythTV and use the I key to show
> the "Recorded File", then find that file in your storage groups.  Then
> use other player software to play the file (eg VLC, mplayer).  If
> possible, use the HDHomerun software to play the file.  Is it
> pixellated when played by other software?
>
> What version of MythTV are you running?  What is your video hardware?
> What drivers are you using?  What settings are you using for playback
> in mythfrontend?  What sort of recordings are you making - are they
> MPEG2 video, H.264, ...?  Are these DVB-T, ATSC, or something else?
>
> When the pixellation happens, do you also get audio blips around the
> same time?  Is the pixellation just occasional, or frequent?  Is it
> regular (eg every 15 seconds)?  Does it vary in how long it lasts for
> before normal picture is restored?

HDHomeRun doesn't allow playback unless I buy their DVR license, so I
can't try it that way.  Using VLC on both the Myth box and a Win7 box
shows the same results, the pixelation reproduces exactly as seen on
MythTv, at the same frames.  Audio is fine.  Pixelation is not cyclic at
all, seems pretty random, but some days seem better than others.  It
usually lasts for a second or two, then fixes itself.  Almost as if the
next group of pictures fixes it (unless the next group is also goofed up).

MythTv version = 16.04 (fixes/0.28 (v1.28-2-g15cf421)
Video hardware =  GK208 [GeForce GT 730]
Video driver = Nvidia Version: 390.87
Video playback setting = All default, except Playback profile is VDPAU
High Quality
HDHomeRun model =  HDHR4-2US
HDHomeRun firmware version = 20180817
Broadcast format = ATSC

Media information from VLC:
Stream 0
Original ID:81
Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)
Type: Video
Video resolution: 1920x1080
Buffer dimensions: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 29.970029
Orientation: Top left
Chroma location: Left

Stream 1
Original ID: 84
Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
Language: English
Type: Audio
Channels 3F2M/LFE
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 32

Streams 2-6 are for alternate languages and subtitles.

I'm leaning toward the recording side of things.  I have the latest
released firmware from Silicon Dust, so no help there.  Any suggestion
on next steps?

Don

---