[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 17:06:33 UTC 2018

I couldn’t wait until I got the Shield to test this and I setup a
Windows Keyboard device (virtual) to my RP3. I assigned an unused
Harmony Remote key to a Windows Keyboard key. It works.

I guess this is more useful on the Shield because using the Harmony
remote to simulate the Shield remote leaves you very few functions to
send. I know on the RP3 I could always send any keyboard key to the RP3
using the Custom buttons on the Harmony remote without a virtual
keyboard device added.

The part of this that’s confusing is when you customize your remote
control, you have the list of Devices for the Activity in a list. For
example the Volume +/-, and mute get chosen to go to the AV receiver.
Any key press I needed to send from a keyboard got sent to the RP3. This
worked without a virtual or real keyboard configured. When you add the
Windows Computer (keyboard) to the list of devices for an Activity, it
would normally mean that The harmony remote button was assigned to send
that button to the Windows Computer, but this method is sending it to
the RP3 instead. Like I said confusing. BTW, the RP3 was setup as a
Windows Computer when it’s was added, which maybe why all this works the
same for me.

It may become clear when the Shield gets here.

Jim A