[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

glen glenb at glenb.us
Wed Dec 26 14:46:25 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-12-25 at 22:16 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

>     On 12/25/18 9:41 PM, glen wrote:
>

> >       On Tue, 2018-12-25 at 18:45 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
> >
> > > While sitting around during the
> > >         holidays watching TV, I started thinking about how to
> > > improve my
> > >         home media center.  My backend is a powerful server with
> > > RAID so
> > >         I’m covered there.  My Frontends need some work though.
> > > It maybe
> > >         my brain going crazy, but I no longer think my Ivy Bridge
> > > i3 NUC
> > >         is not up to the task.  Too much tearing at the bottom of
> > > the
> > >         screen no matter what settings I use. This started as the
> > >         kernels got updated on Ubuntu 16.04 in prep for moving to
> > > 18.04.
> > >         My guess is improving the drivers for the new Intel chips
> > > they
> > >         messed up the old 3rd Core generation drivers.
> > >

> > >         Even my RP3 B+ has better video performance.
> > >            Since I use FireTV in addition to Mythtv, I’m thinking
> > > of
> > >           something like the Nvidia Shield.  It can run all the
> > > apps
> > >           that the FireTV does and it plays games and runs mythtv
> > >           frontend.
> > >

> > >         At $150, I can’t buy a more powerful PC than what
> > >           I have. So I’m thinking the Shield is right solution
> > > moving
> > >           forward without breaking the bank.
> > >

> > >         What do others think??
> > >

> > >         Jim A
> > >

> >       i have 2 shields i got for very low price. i agree to be able
> > to have netflix, amazon, hbogo etc plus mythfrontend
> >       is a big advantage. mythfrontend runs pretty well. i have a
> > little trouble with h264 using mediacodec so i use ffmpeg
> >       codec for everything. also for me only ffmpeg codec allows
> > subtitles. playback is acceptable. not as good as on my backend,
> >       a ryzen 7 with nvidia 750 ti. you could also try to build
> > from master and check out the vaapi 2 and see if that improves
> >       the nuc's before you take the plunge. overall i'm quite happy
> > with the shield on a 4k tv and thanks to the great
> >       work by peter bennet now having mythfrontend makes a really
> > versatile solution for me.
> >

>     The advances of small multi-core CPUs with built-in GPU has been
>       great since I retired from the industry. I know that a PC that
> you
>       spend $400 for will do the job. Also an old PC with a good
> Nvidia
>       graphics card with do the job.  For me form factor is also a
> big
>       issue.  That's why I spent a lot of time debugging performance
> on
>       the 3rd gen Core i3 NUC. But that performance is going down not
>       up.
>
>     The RP3 B+ is quite good on Kodi but still lacking on
>       mythfrontend. Neither can do SlingTV, Prime Video etc.
>
>     So if the developers are spending their time on Nvidia Shield
> [...]

i run the mythfrontend on a shield and also use the hdhomerun quattro
as well as hdpvr. the files play without stutter and any frontend
features i use all work. i do have to use a cheap usb wireless backlit
keyboard to do edits and other functions as the remote is limited (at
least for me). that was another 10 dollars. i can't answer about
question on dvb streams but i think if u.s. mpeg2 hd plays those would
also play. i have mpeg2 files that go over 6gigs/hour. only issue i had
was on hdpvr content or other iptv content in h265 that i had to change
codec. but they play.

i don't know firestick 4k, but i had a cheap box with the s905x arm,
same as mibox, and it was pretty bad on mythfrontend. shield a world of
difference on mythfrontend and everything else. i did put libreelec on
the cheap box and kodi worked really well fwiw. hope that answers some
of your questions.