[mythtv-users] new drive, same problem

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 04:23:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 2:55 PM Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/20/18 7:33 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> > What is your motherboard?  There are known bugs in the device drivers
>> > for old Nvidia motherboards that make some drives do bad things - I
>> > have an old Nvidia board where my Samsung 1 Tbyte drive will not work
>> > - I have to run if from a PCIe SATA port.  I bisected the kernel and
>> > reported the changes that caused this, but to date it has not been
>> > fixed.
>>
>> Interesting.   I had a problem with my old nVidia ION system (nVidia
>> MCP79) where I'd get bus errors with a SanDisk SSD.  I ended up swapping
>> it with another manufacturer's drive, and it seemed to be OK.  At this
>> point, I blamed it on the drive being defective.
>>
>> The system in question has since been retired, so I probably shouldn't
>> care.  But I'm curious if you have any more details about this bug.
>>

>> -WD
>

> What I did last night is most likely a one-off. Earlier I had my power
> supply powering my HDHR and cable box. When that proved unreliable, I
> marrette'd the power wires back to a connector, which was also unreliable,
> so un-used and almost forgotten. Last night I took the connector off and
> dead-ended the four wires, hearing only one more pop afterwards, and that
> pop may have been re-connection of storage2. I will claim victory after I
> hear no pops tonight.

The bad news is: I was wrong, the storage2 dropped out, so I powered down
and switched power and sata cables with storage3 (previous test was with
storage1) The good news is: since storage3 dropped out this time it is
almost certain that the mobo is at fault. The bad news is the mobo I
ordered is, apparently adrift in the Pacific somewhere. The good news is:
its Christmas time and friends and family aplenty will replace my need for
reliable Mythtv, for now, as I wait. Many thanks to everyone on this list,
and I wish you all a splendid season of Joy and Good Cheer!  Daryl