[mythtv-users] TBS2603 HDMI to Ethernet h.265

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Dec 22 02:22:27 UTC 2018

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:33:12 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a TBS2603, which is working very well for me. If I switch it to
>send h.265 instead if h.264, I get a black screen. Does MythTV 29 not
>support h.265 video in yet?
>
>Gerald

If you are using an Nvidia card with VDPAU, then you may need to
create a profile that will play H.265 using the CPU to decode.  MythTV
does not yet support H.265 GPU decoding, although I think I saw a
message where the dev doing the video decoding was looking at
implementing it in v30.  And older Nvidia cards do not do H.265
either.  You do need a decent CPU to do H.265 decoding also.  I do not
know if the decoding code is multithreaded - if it is not, then you
need a fast CPU rather than multicore, as only one core will be used.