[mythtv-users] new drive, same problem

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 11:43:33 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 7:35 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:17:58 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Amazon replaced, what I figured was a wonky drive and it drops out
> >occasionally just like the one it replaced. I have my OS on SSD in sata1
> >three recording drives on sata2,3&4. and ide rom drive and a blueray rom
> >drive into a sata port on a PCI card.
> >
> >With the first drive I copied with gparted, then clonezilla, and this one
> >used rsync.
> >
> >No matter which sata port, sata cable, or power cable, it's always
> storage2
> >that drops out.
> >
> >Why does boot-repair install grub on all disks? Do I need it beyond the
> SSD
> >with my OS?
> >
> >Even after I went into the BIOS and highlighted the Kingston SSD as the
> >first boot disk, boot-repair noted an error suggesting I make sure that
> the
> >Kingston was the first boot disk?
> >
> >Where else can I look? What more info can I provide? This should be
> simple,
> >right?
> >
> >TIA  Daryl
>
> So I presume that at this point, you have tried swapping the cables so
> that the bad drive is on cables that are known to work with one of the
> good drives.  Have you then tried using those same cables on a good
> drive, and plugging them into different SATA ports to ensure you do
> not have a bad SATA port?  Or more than one bad SATA port, as they are
> usually paired and a pair of SATA ports uses the same hardware inside
> the motherboard chipset, so if one port goes bad, usually both of the
> ports in the pair will be bad.

There are only four sata ports on the "Elite Group" mobo, all in use with
on OS and three recordings drives

> Have you tried physically swapping the drive positions in the case, so
> the bad drive is in the place where a good drive works?

It has been in the box, and out of the box

You mentioned having a PCI card with extra SATA ports.  Is that
> actually a PCIe card?  I would hope so, as a PCI card is not fast
> enough to run a single SATA port at full speed, and modern drives need
> a 6 Gbit/s SATA port.  If it is a PCIe card that can do 6 Gbit/s, you
> can try swapping drives to run from there instead of the motherboard.
> The PCIe card will likely have a completely different SATA controller
> and may work differently, so if what you are up against is a SATA
> controller device driver bug in the kernel, you will be using a
> different device driver that may not have that bug.

Its a four port PCI card with only the Blueray rom drive connected

What is your motherboard?  There are known bugs in the device drivers
> for old Nvidia motherboards that make some drives do bad things - I
> have an old Nvidia board where my Samsung 1 Tbyte drive will not work
> - I have to run if from a PCIe SATA port.  I bisected the kernel and
> reported the changes that caused this, but to date it has not been
> fixed.
>
> Physically, how are your drives arranged in the PC?  Are they in a
> drive cage that has them crammed together?  Do they all get reasonable
> airflow?

They are in a cage with empty slots between each

> One thing to try is see if you have enough room to operate the problem
> drive outside the case.  I have three drives running like that and
> they all run cool just by being outside the case and standing on their
> sides, so they cool well by simple convection.  To make that work, I
> used an empty card slot in the case to allow me to pull out a SATA
> power cable and got some longer SATA data cables.  Leaving off the
> backplate that normally covers an empty card slot allowed me to pull
> the cables through easily and just sit the drives out the back of the
> PC.
>
> I have put some photos on my web server to show how it works:
>
> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/externaldrives/
>
> The old blue rag underneath the three drives is to prevent noise - the
> wooden table underneath picks up the drive vibrations and amplifies
> them enough to make it quite annoying.  With the blue rag, they run
> almost silently.

I can hear a pop sound when the drive connects or disconnects, and in
desperation I tried something afterwhich I heard only one more pop. More
details to follow when I document more success.