[mythtv-users] new drive won't boot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Dec 19 14:46:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 06:11:56 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 19, 2018, 3:44 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 23:03:14 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> >Greetings Mythizens, I received my replacement drive from Amazon used
>> >"rsync" to copy the files from my revived (previously "about to fail")
>> >drive, swap the two drives and the box doesn't boot. Unswitch and it boots
>> >fine... unmount storage2, and switch drives and the FE finds storage2
>> >recordings (on the "rsync'd" drive) then a reboot fails. "fstab" is lookng
>> >to mount storage1,2&3, storage directories are back to original form, all
>> >default group, granted it doesn't take much, but I'm stumped! What do I
>> >need to do to make this drive acceptable to my box? the first of this type
>> >of drive worked fine, the odds of getting lemons back to back I woud
>> >imagine to be quite high...Please help, TIA Daryl
>>
>> Rsync does not copy the labels and UUIDs of partitions.  Check your
>> fstab to see what you specify for the boot partition, and make sure
>> the partition on the new drive matches the fstab name or UUID.
>

>At one time, long ago, this was a boot drive, it hit me while on the
>pillow, so after booting and switching drives will runing "update-grub" be
>the cure? Or will I have to use the boot-repair live CD?

Changing drives can upset the BIOS settings and make a different drive
become the boot drive, especially if you replace the boot drive.  It
all depends on what is actually your current boot drive.  The BIOS
settings determine that.  If the new drive is supposed to be the boot
drive, where grub is installed, then running grub-install on that
drive should help.  If your SSD is supposed to be where grub is, then
check the BIOS settings to make sure the SSD is set as the boot drive,
and then if necessary run grub-install on the SSD.  That may need to
be done from a live CD - it is a bit of a complicated process, but the
net has good instructions.

The next possible problem is just what partitions you have in
/etc/fstab.  If you have a partition in fstab set up in the normal
way, systemd will require that the partition be mounted before it will
start up most other things.  If the new drive does not have the same
partition names or UUIDs for the partitions (as set up in fstab), then
systemd will keep on trying to mount the old partitions, and as they
are no longer there, it will do that for a long time before it times
out.  So it can take several minutes before it will give up and try to
complete the booting process.  In 16.04, if that happens, the boot
never completes properly as other things have timed out in the mean
time, and it will never give you a GUI screen.  You then have to use
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a text console and fix fstab by commenting out the
partitions that are no longer available and using the reboot command.
In 18.04, although I have not tested it much, things seem to be much
better and it may complete the booting process fairly normally, but it
will still be delayed a long time by the missing partitions.